HEADSTART are a dedicated team of professionals who assist students to realise their employment aspirations and workplace potential through an apprenticeship or traineeship opportunity. Funded by the State Government of Victoria, HEADSTART will deliver an estimated 1,700 apprenticeships and traineeships in over 100 secondary schools across Victoria.
- Students are eligible for the HEADSTART program at Year’s 10, 11 and 12, either through the VCE or VCAL stream.
- The program can be accessed throughout the school year.
- The HEADSTART team, work with the school to create a flexible, individualised timetable that allows each student to engage with school, TAFE and work simultaneously.
- HEADSTART students are individually matched to an employer who is committed to mentoring young people within their industry.
Benefits of HEADSTART
- HEADSTART students commence working part time and transition into full time status when their Senior level is accomplished
- HEADSTART students are highly supported. This supportive role is extended to include the employer throughout the apprenticeship or traineeship
- HEADSTART is constantly in consultation with industry and the Victorian Skills Commissioner, to ensure that training under HEADSTART is high-quality and in areas of industry demand
- Students undertaking a HEADSTART Pathway benefit from a strong focus on literacy and numeracy skills, as well as preparation for the workplace
- The program aids students to develop skills and experience that employer’s value
- HEADSTART helps students to get the best start in their career
- Quality assured training through TAFEs and Skills First contracted providers
- Tailored pathway for students into careers in priority industries
- An opportunity for employers to train and mentor students who are ready for work.
For further enquires and to be directed to your local HEADSTART representative please view our website via this link.